Berhane Seyoum MD
Berhane Seyoum MD
- M.D., Addis Ababa University, Medical Faculty, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 1980 - 1987
- Specialty degree, Residency in internal medicine Addis Ababa University, Medical Faculty, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 1989 - 1992
- Specialty degree, Residency in internal medicine, New York Methodist Hospital. Brooklyn, New York 2001 - 2003
- Fellowship in Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 2003 - 2006
- M.P.H., Community Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 2004 - present
Research and Professional Experience:
- 1987 - 1989: General practitioner/Assistant lecturer, Jima Institute of Health Sciences, Jima, Ethiopia.
- 1992 - 1999: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Medicine, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- 1996 - 1999: Head of Endocrine/Diabetes Unit, Medicine, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- 1999 - 2001: Research fellow, Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Colorado.
- 2001 - 2003: Intern/Resident, New York Methodist Hospital, Brooklyn, New York.
- 2003 - 2006: Fellow, Davison of Endocrinology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.
- 2004 - Present, MPH student in public health at Wayne State University.
- 2006 - Present: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.
Awards & Honors:
- Third world Medical Foundation awards for Excellence in Research. Received on May 22, 1993.
- Ethiopian Science and Technology Commission research grant, for a research on Type 2 diabetic patients with secondary failure to Sulfonylurias, awarded in 1995.
- Eli Lilly foot amputation prevention program grant, for a research on Identification of high risk foot in diabetic patients in developing countries, awarded in 1997.
- Ethiopian Science and Technology Commission research grant, for a research on the study of microorganism flora in diabetic patients with periodental diseases, awarded in 1997.
- Tigray Development Association research grant award, for the study of prevalence of gestational diabetes in rural pregnant mothers in northern Ethiopia.
- International Diabetes Federation Educational grant award, for clinical research on hypertension and Diabetes mellitus, awarded in 1999.
- Precetorship award from Endocrine Foundation for training in advanced lipidology at Duke University, May 1-15, 2005
- American Diabetes Association.
- The Endocrine Society.
- International Diabetes Federation.
- Pan African Diabetes Study Group.
- National Lipid Association.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.
- Seyoum B, Amaro JC. Bronchial Asthma in Jima: a prospective analysis of 204 patients. Ethiopian Medical Journal 1992; 30:225-32.
- Hodes RM, Seyoum B. The pattern of tuberculosis in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. East African Medical Journal 1989; 66:812-18.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J, Kumssa A. One day at the diabetic clinic; diminishing time supply for complex health care needs and a growing patient load. International Diabetes Digest 1996; 7:35-38.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J. Systemic inspection of insulin injection sites for local complications related to incorrect injection technique. Tropical Doctor 1996; 26:159-61.
- Wolday D, Seyoum B. Pleural empyema due to Salmonella paratyphi in a patient with AIDS. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1997; 2:1140-42.
- Seyoum B. Impotence in Ethiopian diabetic men. East African Medical Journal 1998; 75:208-10.
- Seyoum B, Gebregziabher F, Abdulkadir J, Alemayehu B. The occurrence of Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Tikur Anbessa Hospital, Ethiopia. International Diabetes Digest 1998; 9:38-39.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J, Feleke Y, Worku Y. Insulin storage by diabetic patients in Ethiopia. International Diabetes Digest 1998; 9:43-44.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J. Randomized clinical trial of insulin alone or insulin in-combination with sulphonylureas in the treatment of NIDDM patients with secondary failure to sulphonylureas. Ethiopian Medical Journal 1998; 7:11-17.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J, Gebregziabher F, Alemayehu B. Analysis of diabetic patients admitted to Tikur Anbessa hospital over 8 years. Ethiopian Journal for Health Development 1999; 13:9-13.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J, Berhanu P, Feleke Y, Worku Y, Ayana G. Profile of coronary risk factors in Ethiopian diabetic patients. East African Medical Journal 1999;76:105-7.
- Seyoum B, Kiros K, Haileselasie T, Leole A. Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus in rural pregnant mothers in northern Ethiopia. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 1999;46:247-51.
- Seyoum B, Mengistu Z, Berhanu P, Abdulkadir J, Feleke Y, Worku Y, Ayana G. Retinopathy in patients of Tikur Anbessa Hospital diabetic clinic. Ethiopian Medical journal 2001;39:123-31.
- Teshome T, Seyoum B. Graves� thyroid Ophthalmopathy in Ethiopian patients. Ethiopian Medical Journal 2001;39:1-8.
- Seyoum B, Abdulkadir J, Berhanu P, Feleke Y, Mengistu Z, Worku Y, Ayana G. Analysis of serum lipids and lipoproteins in Ethiopian diabetic patients. Ethiopian Medical journal 2003;41:1-8.
- Seyoum B, Berhanu P. Profile of diabetic ketoacidosis in a predominantly African American urban patient population. Endo trends 2006;5:6.
- Siraj ES, Seyoum B, Saenz C, Abdulkadir A. Lipid and lipoprotein profiles in Ethiopian patients with diabetes mellitus.Metabolism, 2006;55:706-10.
- Seyoum B, Estacio B O, Berhanu P, Shrier RW. Exercise capacity is a predictor of cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of diabetes and vascular research, 2006;3:197-201.
- Seyoum B, Berhanu P. Profile of diabetic ketoacidosis in a predominantly African American urban patient population. In press in the Journal of Ethnicity and disease.
- Mamdani N, Seyoum B, Berhanu P. Fahr�s disease presented with asymptomatic basal ganglia calcification. In press in the Journal of Endocrine Practice; 2007;13:487-92.
- Seyoum B, Siraj ES, Saenz C, Abdulkadir A. Hypomagnesemia in Ethiopians with Diabetes Mellitus. Ethnicity and Disease Journal, 2008;18:147-51.
Position TitleAssociate Professor, Clinical Educator
Interim Division Chief
Medical Fellow/Resident/Student Instruction