Program Goals & Objectives
Mission and Overall Educational Goal:
Our program aspires to providing excellent training in clinical endocrinology, diabetes and metabolic bone diseases; to motivate and inspire innovative clinical and basic research in endocrinology, diabetes and bone biology; and to prepare the trainees to become academic physicians/scientists and future leaders of endocrine research, education and practice.
The specific objectives of the program are to train the fellows to:
2.1. History and physical examination with emphasis on examination of the fundi, thyroid, breasts, penis, testes and female reproductive organs.
2.2. Selection and interpretation of endocrine biochemical tests.
2.3. Selection and interpretation of imaging procedures for the diagnosis of endocrine diseases such as ultra sound (with emphasis on the thyroid glands and ovaries), radionuclide scans (with emphasis on thyroid uptake and scan, sistamibi scan for the parathyroid gland, and bone scan), computerized axial tomography (emphasis on the diagnosis of adrenal masses and other neuroendocrine tumors), magnetic resonance imaging (emphasis on the pituitary and adrenal gland), positron emission tomography and DEXA scanning for measuring bone mineral density.
2.4. Developing skills in common endocrine procedures and dynamic testing with special emphasis on fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules and interpretation of cytology and pathology.
2.5. Selection and understanding of the most appropriate management of endocrine disorders such as observation only, pharmacotherapy, surgery, treatment with radioisotopes and radiation therapy.
- Understand endocrine biochemistry, hormone actions, hormone interactions, endocrine physiology and pathophysiology of endocrine diseases.
- Diagnose and manage endocrine diseases including:
- Continually improve their organizational, leadership and communication skills including peer interactions, professionalism, confidentiality, avoidance of conflict of interest, and communication with patients, patients' families and other health care providers.
- Learn how to perform endocrine research (clinical and/or basic) and conduct at least one research project during the fellowship period.
- Continually seek scholarship, personal development, self-instruction and keeping self up-to-date with existing and emerging endocrine literature while enhancing their general medical knowledge and skills.